Monday, May 4, 2009

The Potty Post

Okay... I am scared of potty training- let me just put that out there right now :) I think that Christian may be showing signs that he might be able to start potty training, but I need HELP!!!! All of you who have potty trained, or know someone who has potty trained please help me. Books, theories, ideas, etc. Please comment and help me gain some courage. Thanks :)

4 comments:

Rowley's said...

I loved your gratitude post, thanks! On to the blessed potty training... I have not potty trained a boy but Aubrey is potty trained and has been for over a year. Yeah! I still love it! She was two when we started and she would do great for a day or two and then was done. I really just let her decide for awhile, somedays she wanted to wear panties and other days a pull up. Then it got to the point where I knew she could stay dry if she wanted too, but just wasn't. I was so frustrated because I was a few months pregnant with Carlee and didn't want to deal with it anymore. She I told her I only have "night time pull-up" and she had to wear panties. If she had an accident I would have her clean it up and put her wet close in the dirty clothes. Oh and I wouldn't let her sit on the couch until she went 24 hours dry... she hated this the most. I think she finally got sick of having to take the time to clean up that she finally started to go by herself. I don't know that any of that helps, but good luck! It's not a fun process, but SO fun when they are potty trained!

Heidi said...

Lily seems to have it down. You should talk to her!

Natasha said...

I am using the book "Diaper Free Before 3" by Jill Lekovic, MD. James actually started using the potty at 9 months. It's really not so bad. Her plan includes three stages: Introduction (getting comfortable sitting on the potty), Practicing (occasionally void and stool on potty; pattern of multiple trips throughout the day; increasing amounts of time in cotton underwear), and Good Habits (drinking plenty of fluids, eating the right foods, regular bowel movements). The idea is to make it part of the routine: trips to the potty when you wake up, before naps, after eating (if bowel movements occur then usually), before bed, before going out. As James became comfortable sitting on the potty for short periods of time once during the day, we added the other times in. Now he knows when it's time to go to the potty. He loves to sit on the potty and read books. Sometimes I can't get him off. Anyway, sorry for the novel. I thought the book was helpful and it seems to be working for James. Time will tell.

Birrell Family said...

Boys are never really trained Beth. They potty wherever they are pointed... so don't surprise him from behind! Keep Cheerios in the bathroom and let him have fun hitting the Cheerio... it makes a game out of it and will give him focus. Good luck wiping down your bathroom more often :)