Well we finally made it into see the Allergist! She confirmed that Evan is allergic to the following: Garlic, Dairy, Eggs, Cats, & Dogs. She was really surprised at the garlic because she says children do not have that allergy and adults usually develop it in the 20's, 30's, 40's- he is actually her first childhood patient who has a garlic allergy. Crazy huh! We are going to run more extensive tests with a blood test so he didn't have to get poked non the back a million times. Anyway, that's where we are at. We will see her again in 6 months and we are off to the races looking for vegan recipes that do not have any garlic in them, wish us luck!
Monday, April 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm vegan and my favorite recipe website is vegweb.com. If all else fails, substitute a different seasoning and omit the garlic. Is it just garlic, though? Onions, shallots, chives, leeks, etc., are in the same family. Was he tested for those as well?
As for dairy, I've found some good butter and milk substitutes. And decent yogurt and cheese substitutes. It all depends on whether or not he'll eat soy products. They can be an acquired taste. Some soy "dairy" products still have dairy derived ingredients, so make sure you watch out for that. If you try soy ice cream, try the chocolate flavor-it masks the soy flavor the best. Also, I think the Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips are dairy free. Not all dark chocolates are, you really have to read the labels.
Speaking of labels, there are dairy based ingredients in SO many products you wouldn't think it's in. Make sure you read the ingredients on all labels. This has seriously become the bane of my existence-they seriously hide dairy and eggs in everything.
Oh, and have fun going out to eat. That's a whole other topic!
Of course this is all dependent upon how sensitive his allergies are! Let me know if you have any questions, though. I think I've pretty much got the vegan thing down (although I cheat all the time!). Just count your blessings that he's not allergic to meat too!
I'm sorry he has so many allergies! That must be so hard! I hope he grows out of some of them!
ugh! that's so tough! Vegan is such an annoying diet to shop/cook for. I'm sure you'll find lots of great stuff though! What a good mommy. :)
Well, at least you have something to go on now. Sorry to hear it's going to be a bit of a challenge. I will be praying hard he grows out of them! Love you p.s. I have a huge black garbage bag of clothes for Evan when I come down.
Post a Comment